Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions Watch - Scrum Halves

4 posters

Go down

Who should start at scrum half?

Lions Watch - Scrum Halves I_vote_rcap14%Lions Watch - Scrum Halves I_vote_rcap 14% 
[ 3 ]
Lions Watch - Scrum Halves I_vote_rcap38%Lions Watch - Scrum Halves I_vote_rcap 38% 
[ 8 ]
Lions Watch - Scrum Halves I_vote_rcap5%Lions Watch - Scrum Halves I_vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
Lions Watch - Scrum Halves I_vote_rcap43%Lions Watch - Scrum Halves I_vote_rcap 43% 
[ 9 ]
Lions Watch - Scrum Halves I_vote_rcap0%Lions Watch - Scrum Halves I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Lions Watch - Scrum Halves I_vote_rcap0%Lions Watch - Scrum Halves I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 21

Lions Watch - Scrum Halves Empty Lions Watch - Scrum Halves

Post by quind Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:33 am

Having said the 8 was the first of the real decision makers we now come to the first of the real TDMs (tactical decision maker) and given the standard of our 10s this is even more important. Actually it's fair to say this is the most important role in the side at any time, and there's no bias in me saying that as a former 9.

Different styles can cover the role, long-backed flankers, small nippy runners, those who put pace on the game with speed of passing, strike runners, a kicking 9, and oddly even a player who can pass. The odd thing is actually just how many leading 9s don't pass that well and still perform excellently. Of course most players tend to be some combination of the above.

So normal rules, pick what you think the best options is. Reasons and praise of 9s welcome.

quind
Admin

Location : escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground

Back to top Go down

Lions Watch - Scrum Halves Empty Re: Lions Watch - Scrum Halves

Post by agrimsley Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:11 am

Quite simply, given our lack of quality at 10, I would have to go with Phillips to give us some go forward and impetus which would allow the rest of the back line to have something to run on to.

agrimsley

Back to top Go down

Post by Meeeeeeeat_ Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:56 am

if youngs was on form i'd go for him, but he's not. and i agree with what agrimsley says about picking one for some go forward, but i wouldn't pick phillips, as much as i like him. i'd go with care, he's faster and a great tactical decision maker
Meeeeeeeat_
Meeeeeeeat_

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:44 pm

I reckon Care looks best when divesting himself of decision making duties and keeps pace in the game. At Quins he can just leave it to Evans, but for both club and country he runs into problems when he tries to think.

Youngs tries to make decisions, sometimes works, sometimes not si much. Big fan though.

Phillips can have a horribly slow passing game. But as a decision maker, organiser of the pack he's excellent. In particular he doesn't ship on crap but tends to sort it himself - that won't work for a lot of 10s who want the control themselves so his halfback partner will need choosing with come care. But as of now it's Phillips for me, if Youngs has a strong season it could be close, and actually I really like Murray too. Both Scottish 9s look a little far off at present, and even if they have good seasons i can't see the Lions playing a style to suit them

quind
Admin

Location : escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground

Back to top Go down

Post by jimjam_w Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:51 pm

The thing that impresses me about Care is the pace of his passing...which gets go-forward. He gets a team playing with tempo...when he's on form, that is.

I liked Dickson last season, but he has fallen into the trap a lot of SH's have recently, which is waiting for minutes before moving the ball from the ruck...lets the defence sort itself out and drains the game...by far the best go forward comes from high tempo against a defence still arranging itself, which opens up the gaps. And all that comes from clearing from a ruck quickly. Sadly, we see precious little of it.

jimjam_w

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:20 am

Can I just say as a 9 that frequently when I watch a team like England there aren't options coming from the pack, or at least not running from a little depth with pace. And the 10 is far from screaming for the ball.

With no options but slow static forwards I don't know what the 9 is supposed to do if the sniping option has been closed down.

It's all very well blaming the 9, but the team need to be giving options.

quind
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down