Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do Attack and Defence Actually Do?

4 posters

Go down

What do Attack and Defence Actually Do? Empty What do Attack and Defence Actually Do?

Post by ihsaan Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:47 pm

This is a question I've wondered for a while. When considering how good a player is at "Attacking", you think of whether he could break a line (either by running through or in between people), whether he could create a linebreak with a fantastic pass or whether he could finish off moves with a burst of pace. But don't we already have Strength, Agility, Handling and Speed for this? Similarly, for "Defending", don't we have Strength, Technique and Speed which seem to cover everything you'd need to actually make a tackle?

Do Attack/Defence just relate to something along the lines of 'vision' and 'positoning' or am I missing something and are they much more important?

ihsaan

Back to top Go down

What do Attack and Defence Actually Do? Empty Re: What do Attack and Defence Actually Do?

Post by Jonny Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:41 am

I like to think that stronger players gain metres/linebreaks through a combo of attack + strength(+weight) + speed (to a lesser extent normally due to it being lower) and more agile players gain metres/linebreaks through a combo of attack + agility + speed, and that these figures are compared to the player they are facing in the line/opposite number(don't know how it's done), but instead the defender is using the defence stat.

And I think attack affects the number of linebreaks triggered by a player, the completion rate(where speed/agil comes in as well) and handling(for both players involved) comes in when passing is involved in the linebreak

Jonny

Back to top Go down

What do Attack and Defence Actually Do? Empty Re: What do Attack and Defence Actually Do?

Post by Tedage Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:18 am

Attack, as far as I'm aware, will also include support play and movement.

Tedage

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingnut Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:01 pm

yeah i would think it includes support play and positioning during multiple phases and linebreaks.

i would say defence includes the ability to work as a team to a high standard too rather than just an individual, it also makes them better at defending 2 on 1s and so on aswell as basic positioning and that
Wingnut
Wingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down