Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie's Strategy

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Newbie's Strategy Empty Newbie's Strategy

Post by ihsaan Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:58 pm

Having just been relegated to Div V, I've decided to have a look at my strategy for the next few seasons, so I have a few questions.

Firstly, what position would people play this guy? He's been a number 8 for me, but looks like he could possibly be a beastly centre?

Dillon Morgan
21 y/o (R7, D4) | 40,066 CSR | $6,396 p.w. | 195cm | 131kg | Ireland
Right handed, right footed, in decent form .
An aggressive player with controlled discipline, decent leadership, and horrible experience.
Stamina: Reputable Handling: Princely
Attack: Decent Defense: Admirable
Technique: Impressive Strength: Impressive
Jumping: Decent Speed: Average
Agility: Moderate Kicking: Horrible

Secondly, I've got 164 youth stars and a ready made upgrade to Level 2 youth facilities & staff. As I don't have any top props/second rows I was thinking of spending all these stars on forwards once next season starts (also possibly bringing in extra cash as I know it's an U20 year), what would people think about me spending say 25 stars on 7 youth players. I'd then make my youth training Stamina/Handling/Technique and promote the best few to be sold/trained while the others would stay into my academy until 19 at which point they should be able to improve my squad when promoted.

I was also thinking of repeating this strategy for backs in 2 seasons time, essentially hoarding stars in a non U20 season.

Obviously I'm looking for any advice from more experienced managers. It may also be important to point out that I'll probably be losing cash next year so I can't buy players which is why I'm expecting to be so reliant on the academy!

ihsaan

Back to top Go down

Newbie's Strategy Empty Re: Newbie's Strategy

Post by Wingnut Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:56 pm

your academy plan sounds vergy logical mate .

keep morgan in the backrow hes a tank Smile are you training him?
Wingnut
Wingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingnut Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:02 pm

also if you have not already done it cut your sqaud down to 23 men to reduce costs as much as you can.

this might not be easy but peaple can help Smile

Wingnut
Wingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by ihsaan Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:06 pm

wing wrote:your academy plan sounds vergy logical mate .

keep morgan in the backrow hes a tank Smile are you training him?

Yes, he's on 2x Technique, 2x Strength, Defence, Attack. Team training is Stamina, Handling, Speed, Defence.

I'm on 24 in the squad at the moment, didn't want to risk having a couple of injuries at the same time and no replacement? Or is that avoidable.

My other trainees are:

Zachary Lamond
21 y/o (R12, D7) | 56,922 CSR | $8,072 p.w. | 183cm | 81kg | South Africa
A collected player with reckless discipline, reputable leadership, and horrible experience.
Stamina: Admirable Handling: Princely
Attack: Princely Defense: Princely
Technique: Horrible Strength: Limited
Jumping: Limited Speed: Admirable
Agility: Admirable Kicking: Princely

Arran Leslie
20 y/o (R8, D5) | 43,789 CSR | $6,911 p.w. | 190cm | 86kg | Scotland
Right handed, right footed, in average form .
An aggressive player with controlled discipline, reputable leadership, and horrible experience.
Energy: Sprightly %
Stamina: Admirable Handling: Admirable
Attack: Impressive Defense: Admirable
Technique: Moderate Strength: Moderate
Jumping: Average Speed: Impressive
Agility: Princely Kicking: Moderate

Ed Pape
18 y/o (R8, D5) | 36,388 CSR | $5,998 p.w. | 185cm | 83kg | England
Right handed, right footed, in reputable form .
A collected player with controlled discipline, average leadership, and despicable experience.
Energy: Weary %
Stamina: Reputable Handling: Decent
Attack: Admirable Defense: Princely
Technique: Average Strength: Moderate
Jumping: Moderate Speed: Reputable
Agility: Reputable Kicking: Reputable

Rodney Speed
20 y/o (R7, D1) | 47,463 CSR | $7,134 p.w. | 182cm | 114kg | New Zealand
A timid player with collected discipline, horrible leadership, and limited experience.
Energy: Weary %
Attack: Reputable Defense: Sumptuous
Technique: Sumptuous Strength: Admirable
Jumping: Moderate Speed: Admirable
Agility: Limited Kicking: Non-Existent

ihsaan

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingnut Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:19 pm

solid bunch of players mate.

if you drop to 23 players it saves maybe 64k which isnt much but after the season you might afford a new first team player as a result...
Wingnut
Wingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:29 am

ihsaan wrote:
I'm on 24 in the squad at the moment, didn't want to risk having a couple of injuries at the same time and no replacement? Or is that avoidable.

I've had 22 in my squad at times, I just tended to not have promoted anyone from YA so I could promote rubbish and avoid a $5K bot replacement fine. You won't need more than 18 of your current players to get back into Div 4, the rest can really be any old kind of rubbish so you could replace some with lower salary players if wanted.

If you play mostly normal, and some wnwim Vs bots to keep energy high, your energy levels will stay higher lowering the risk of injury. I wouldn't just wnwim vs bots though as you'll take less experience.

One further point you don't need 7 players to really act as replacements on the bench, and certainly not now that the starting XV can cover all replacement slots. With 18 decent players I reckon you can cover all possible roles for any given game.

quind
Admin

Location : escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground

Back to top Go down

Post by ihsaan Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:31 am

On consideration, I'll definitely get rid of one player to save on wages as financially the next season will be tough as it is!

ihsaan

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:27 am

If it's tough you may want to consider replacing the likes of Nakamoto, Griffiths and Molero with cheaper 17 years olds from your YA (providing they're 20-30 stars standard, and not 0 star players)

None of those existing players will be stars on your return to Div 4, having the cheaper kids won't prevent you from promoting, and it'll cost less to do so.

Have a look after salaries go up, and possibly once out of the cup. Not a huge thing, but worth considering especially if finances do get tough

quind
Admin

Location : escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground

Back to top Go down

Post by ihsaan Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:39 am

Unfortunately I don't really have any 20-30 star standard kids in the academy as I've been saving stars for next season, but I know what you mean and I'm trying to phase out some of the slightly older players who'll be taking up wages when I shouldn't need them for promotion. Hopefully I'll have a decent cup run to give me a boost!

ihsaan

Back to top Go down

Post by ihsaan Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:18 am

I've just been promoted in a botflush which changes my plans slightly! I'd already offloaded a player expecting a lower quality of opponent, oh dear.

ihsaan

Back to top Go down

Post by ihsaan Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:47 pm

Having sold my scrum half expecting an easy ride through Div V before being unexpectedly promoted in a botflush, I'm not sure what to do. What do people think about me playing

Arran Leslie
20 y/o (R8, D5) | 43,789 CSR | $6,911 p.w. | 190cm | 86kg | Scotland
An aggressive player with controlled discipline, reputable leadership, and horrible experience.
Energy: Sprightly %
Attack: Impressive Defense: Admirable
Technique: Moderate Strength: Moderate
Jumping: Average Speed: Impressive
Agility: Princely Kicking: Moderate

At Scrum Half for the season in the expectation that I'll have a trainee next season? Leslie currently plays on the wing, but perhaps it's best to play him inside at Scrum Half where he could have more of an influence on games whilst he's one of my best players?

On the bright side, my IV league following the botflush is very promising - from being relegated last season I feel I can make the playoffs this season!

ihsaan

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:13 pm

Nice scrummie save the handling. But if TT is on handling, and that is backed up by his IGT then go for it.

Personally at our level I wouldn't worry about his kicking.

quind
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ihsaan Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:41 pm

TT is indeed on handling and his IGT should back it up. I only have 3-4 players in my squad who can kick and one plays #10 and the other at #15 so not many options really. Hopefully one of my 25 star investments turns out to be a #9 and I can move Leslie back out to centre/the wing at the end of the season.

On that note, do people think 6 30-star players might be better than 7 25-star players?

ihsaan

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:03 pm

6 players gives more chance ot getting trained for U20 if you start scouting D2 next round. But if it were the 7th were the one who has the awesome physicals....

You'll only know if you're right with hindsight. In advance it's hard to make the call.

I would say if you don't have a YA manager scouting fewer players on higher stars makes it easier to actually then promote them. Without the manager promoting the right one gets trickier. Or you could scout less players not using all stars accrued and start hoarding some stars.

quind
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingnut Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:31 pm

hes a great scrummy bar kicking but like quinio says dont worry about the kicking.

i like the idea of scouting 6 30 star players it just gives each player that extra little potential boost
Wingnut
Wingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by ihsaan Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:58 pm

I'll go for 6x30 I think and I'll move Leslie to scrum half, it makes sense to put one of my best players in a position where he can influence the play. He should make a fair few linebreaks with his agility and then can finish them off as well.

ihsaan

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingnut Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:03 pm

also provides fast ruck ball
Wingnut
Wingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by ihsaan Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:10 pm

Just signed this guy as a more permanent fix at Scrum Half so I can move Leslie out wide or to centre.

Buck Vaughn
17 y/o (R12, D5) | 20,025 CSR | $5,656 p.w. | 181cm | 87kg | England
An aggressive player with flawless discipline, moderate leadership, and despicable experience.
Stamina: Average Handling: Admirable
Attack: Decent Defense: Satisfactory
Technique: Limited Strength: Decent
Jumping: Average Speed: Satisfactory
Agility: Decent Kicking: Satisfactory

I'm thinking Stamina (L3) x2, Attack, Speed, Agility, Handling (L4) x1 and Kicking (L2) x1? TT is Handling, Speed, Stamina, Defence although I may change Speed to Attack.

ihsaan

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingnut Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:37 pm

looks good , try to keep his defence up with the rest and he will be a tidy player
Wingnut
Wingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by ihsaan Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:09 pm

Who do people think I should play at lock? My current two locks are:
Rodney Amohanga
22 y/o (R11, D6) | 22,698 CSR | $5,939 p.w. | 198cm | 123kg | New Zealand
A collected player with collected discipline, admirable leadership, and moderate experience.
Stamina: Reputable Handling: Decent
Attack: Reputable Defense: Reputable
Technique: Satisfactory Strength: Decent
Jumping: Reputable Speed: Average
Agility: Moderate Kicking: Despicable

Aiden McLeay
18 y/o (R16, D4) | 21,156 CSR | $5,768 p.w. | 195cm | 114kg | England
A timid player with collected discipline, limited leadership, and despicable experience.
Stamina: Decent Handling: Decent
Attack: Satisfactory Defense: Reputable
Technique: Decent Strength: Satisfactory
Jumping: Reputable Speed: Average
Agility: Average Kicking: Despicable

I've just pulled this player:
Brent Leleu
17 y/o (R16, D4) | 19,112 CSR | $4,991 p.w. | 198cm | 114kg | England
An aggressive player with reckless discipline, limited leadership, and despicable experience.
Stamina: Decent Handling: Reputable
Attack: Moderate Defense: Decent
Technique: Moderate Strength: Decent
Jumping: Admirable Speed: Limited
Agility: Moderate Kicking: Horrible

I'm not sure whether he's worth training: on the one hand he should be a good jumper, on the other he's slow but is reckless with poor technique. What do people think? Obviously I'll need good locks in the long term but the player I scouted to replace Leleu is only 194cm (so more suited to #6 maybe?) and I can't guarantee getting another tall lock in the youth academy.

Also, I've got Level 2 Youth coach/facilities and a Level 3 Fitness coach ready, am I right in thinking firing the current incumbents before midnight tonight (Monday) and hiring new ones afterwards is the best way to go about it?

ihsaan

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingnut Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:37 pm

yes thats the best way mate fire them and then hire the new ones to save a small amount of money .

it wont leave much time to set training though.....

at the moment Brent Leleu should be on the bench but if you want to train him i would replace Aiden McLeay
Wingnut
Wingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by ihsaan Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:32 pm

Just after signing Vaughn as a Scrum Half for 13K, I spotted this guy who's slightly better and snapped him up for 9K...

Rubén Vidal
17 y/o (R1, D3) | 21,813 CSR | $7,989 p.w. | 190cm | 90kg | Spain
An aggressive player with reckless discipline, average leadership, and non-existent experience.
Stamina: Decent Handling: Admirable
Attack: Satisfactory Defense: Satisfactory
Technique: Limited Strength: Average
Jumping: Average Speed: Decent
Agility: Decent Kicking: Reputable

I'll probably give him the sessions Vaughn has been given, I don't think I have enough sessions to train them both. I'm tempted to continue playing Vaughn at centre as he's not that far off making my team and will presumably only improve with IGT/Team training.

ihsaan

Back to top Go down

Post by ihsaan Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:25 am

Is it worth adding a Technique session to Vidal? I can find a defensive session from one of my older players as they're coming towards the end of their training and I'm team training defence, and currently am I right in thinking Vidal would potential let me down with pick and goes? He's my new, long term #9 I think and currently has L3 Stamina, L4 Attack, Agility, Handling, Speed, Defence L2 Kicking with Team Training on Attack, Handling, Stamina, Defence

Rubén Vidal
17 y/o (R1, D3) | 22,854 CSR | $7,989 p.w. | 190cm | 90kg | Spain
An aggressive player with reckless discipline, average leadership, and non-existent experience.
Stamina: Decent Handling: Impressive
Attack: Satisfactory Defense: Satisfactory
Technique: Limited Strength: Average
Jumping: Average Speed: Decent
Agility: Reputable Kicking: Reputable

ihsaan

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingnut Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:32 pm

get core skills up first mate . at his level tech wont be too vital
Wingnut
Wingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:01 pm

On that subject, at what stage would you start considering to 'round' your players out a little? I imagine it varies quite differently from manager to manager and also what you want from your players is likely to influence how you train...

But for example, at what stage would people consider training technique on a centre and to what level, speed on a prop, jumping on a winger? Skills that would certainly help but aren't necessarily critical to their main performance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next