Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

lots of questions

4 posters

Go down

lots of questions Empty lots of questions

Post by Guest Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:43 pm

I have struggled to find and purchase locks of enough height, I now have two locks that are 200cm, but they are very light, both 105kg I think, will that work against me? I'm not sure on the importance of weight in this game as I've come across some very light props and other forwards who have made fools of mine.

What height should I be looking at for my front rowers? Im currently keeping the short as possible.

When picking a captain should I take into consideration age and experience as well as his leadership ability?

My youth facilities are level 2 with a level 2 coach, how many stars is the minimum I should be investing to give a good return on a youth player? A few I have tried with 10 and 15 stars haven't been up to much.

Once I have played a player in a certain position consistently will playing him in an alternative position cause a slump in form. I have a few players I swap from full back to fly half, scrum half to fly half and so on.

Should I have a balance of experience and youth? Or is it simply if their stats are good enough, they are good enough. Not sure how much my teams lack of experience is costing me.

What should I pay the most attention to first, increasing training facilities and staff, youth facilities and staff or my stadium?

How much does good attacking play act as a substitute for a blatant lack of pace?

many thanks for the help Very Happy

Back to top Go down

lots of questions Empty Re: lots of questions

Post by Wingnut Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:11 pm

weight matters on locks but if they are tall and skilled thats generally enough. heavier players are slower and lose stamina faster so being light has benefits , keep front rows as short as possible with the hooker being the shortest , keep them within 5cm of eachother to avoid an inbalanced scrum.

take into account experience when choosing a captain but age makes no odds.

try using 20-30 stars on your youth players on average

swapping players positions has no effect on form , form is random and we cannot do anything to change it.

if stats are good enough , they are good enough , experience helps but it costs more and the players wont be with your club in the longterm , choosing young skilled players means you can have them for longer .

focus on senior facilities and staff followed by stadium and leave Youth academy till last.

if you have a blatant lack of pace try playing a high amount of creative plays so that you increase your number of linebreaks.
Wingnut
Wingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:31 pm

thanks for the help Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Meeeeeeeat_ Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:49 pm

sorry to hijack this but was just thinking. as far as scouting players go, would you spend more stars on certain positions, namely ones where untrainables are more important?
for example i spent 30 stars each on a fh, sh, 2 locks and a back row.
the backs stats are going well but my locks, although having decent stats, are 196cm.. which is the tallest on my youth squad. so would you scout those and props with say more than you'd scout a winger with?
Meeeeeeeat_
Meeeeeeeat_

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

You could certainly consider spending a few more stars on players you hope to be scouted with bigger physicals. But given the range of physical stats that can come out, and the mental stats, and now the impact YA training can have I wouldn't be going crazy. 50 stars seems like an upper limit to me, but that is only an impression and in a few weeks we'll see the next round of U20 players getting promoted and have some actual evidence to review.

quind
Admin

Location : escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground

Back to top Go down

Post by Meeeeeeeat_ Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:40 pm

ahh ok cheers quind. looking forward to seeing that evidence
Meeeeeeeat_
Meeeeeeeat_

Back to top Go down

Post by jimjam_w Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:07 am

On height of props...some do prefer taller props (say 180-189cm) saying that the height they give as lifters improves their lineout. I'm not sure if there's any evidence of this?

On where to invest...its a choice, certainly you get more from investing in Senior facilities than junior ones. But...the choice is then between Stadium and Senior facilities. If you invest in trainers, it will cost you...if you have enough money/ income that's fine. If you are short of money...then invest what you can in stadium when you can, becuase it will increase your income. (See 'Stadium get rid of standing' thread for some figures)

jimjam_w

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:15 am

I think yes people are happy that taller props do help lift higher in the lineout. Whilst shorter props (within a similar height) help give a better scrum.

But two points on that, first it's easier to force an advantage in the lineout, you need much bigger scrum dominance to see the same sort of effect, and secondly there are just a lot more lineouts than scrums. You may not notice that latter point as much early doors when both teams have god awful handling. But lineouts are by far the biggest source of 1st phase possession in the game.

quind
Admin

Location : escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground

Back to top Go down

Post by jimjam_w Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:24 am

Much against advice to thin down my squad...I have two front rows...one between 175-179 and the other 182-187cm.

So interesting to hear....I tend to favour my shorter front row (but they have had better form than the others) but I might have to see how favouring my taller front row goes.

jimjam_w

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:42 am

I'd be inclined to pick whichever unit is the best in open play. As much of that will come down to technique, and that's going to be a big factor in the set piece anyway.

Other than that which players do you want to be gaining exp and IGT?

But if it came to one game you really wanted to win perhaps then consider whether scrum or lineout is key. Longer term lineout will do a more dominant factor, it might not be yet. Also tactics such as drift and expansive will increase lineouts as an influence, whereas rush and creative will increase the scrum importance - in relative terms.

quind
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down