Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Humps' question thread.

+11
anything7pob
Twinkletoes
Ultimatem
Wingnut
HowieLO6
Raggs
quind
Meeeeeeeat_
jeolmaga
Jonny2Hats
jimjam_w
15 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Humps' question thread. Empty Humps' question thread.

Post by Guest Sun May 27, 2012 12:29 pm

I'm into my second week on BR and I have plenty of questions to ask so I'll try and keep them to one thread.

First one, I'm in need of a No 8 and a No 7 as my rucking is at about 2 stars and it's appalling how many turnovers I'm conceding at the moment.

How are this chap for a No 7 if I can pick him up for an ok price? http://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/club.squad.php#player=11341868

Only negative I can see is he is only 182cm but if I'm right it's normally 6 and 8 who are tertiary jumpers in the line out after 4 and 5 so the height shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Humps on Sun May 27, 2012 1:51 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Sp)

Back to top Go down

Humps' question thread. Empty Re: Humps' question thread.

Post by Guest Sun May 27, 2012 1:13 pm

Another question I can't find the answer to. BoRganiser at default settings has props at over 185cm. I know you gain an advantage in the scrum if you're props and hooker are lower than the other side providing they are within a reasonable range and your hooker is not taller than the two props. (If that is incorrect please correct my understanding for me). So is 185cm the shortest a prop should be? I presume the props height has some impact on the lineout as they are predominately the lifters. What are peoples thoughts on how tall your front row should be?

Back to top Go down

Post by jimjam_w Sun May 27, 2012 3:45 pm

I've not got to the point where I have the luxury of 'matching' my front row. One of my props is in the 170's, but the other 2 are in the 180's. I've seen some recommendations to get your props and hooker into the 170's bracket on another site.

jimjam_w

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonny2Hats Sun May 27, 2012 6:36 pm

keep your props and hooker short for an advantage in the scrum, if they are much smaller and heavier your scrum will be a real force. on the other hand a couple of taller props give you a better line out. but whatever you do it is best to keep them all in a 5-6cm range or the scrum suffers.

what are your tactics for defence? i have found that rucking is significantly affected by your choice of aggression and intensity, you win more rucks on aggressive but give away more penalties, if you have decent technique i would stick to normal for most games. and as for the height of the back row, i don't really know but wing and raggs suggested my tall decent jumping back rower play six, and that looks good......

though I'm relatively new so any advice from the more experienced managers should definitely be considered better than mine.

good luck and ask away, the advice is good on here and its helped me.

Jonny2Hats

Back to top Go down

Post by jeolmaga Mon May 28, 2012 1:21 am

I'd say there are far more lineouts then there are scrums. So I'd recommend you keep that in mind. As long as they are within 5cm of the hook e.g. Hooker 180cm prop 177cm and prop 184cm. You'll be fine. I'd never play aggressive it's just not worth the penalties. If you have too many rebellious forwards I would recommend playing BTB other then that play normal aggression. A no.6 should be able to jump (say 10 or so jumpingish) and quite tall (190cm+ would be nice)
jeolmaga
jeolmaga

Back to top Go down

Post by Meeeeeeeat_ Mon May 28, 2012 11:56 am

jeol is right but i'll again add about you brorganizer. do your own formula and set height to '0'. then it won't look at how tall they are. i know thats not ideal but if you set it at anything else it'd rate them higher for them being taller... its a shame you can't put negative values on the formulas. so by all means use the organizer but as i said before use your head too, only use it as advice, its not the be all and end all
Meeeeeeeat_
Meeeeeeeat_

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 28, 2012 6:18 pm

Thanks for you time fellas, it's much appreciated.

I'll aim for props around 185cm and a hooker slightly shorter than those 2.

As I'm still stuck with players that were given to me to start with I've plenty with poor discipline so it's BTB for me atm, maybe I'll up that to normal one game and see how we go because atm my rucking is terrible. (2 stars last game, lower than a bots).

My number 6 is 199cm with 8 jumping so that's looking ok and would explain why my lineout is by far my best attribute at 5.5 stars. Definitely going to set kicking to touch at 75%

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Mon May 28, 2012 8:33 pm

I'd stay off BTB. What you need to remember is it's not about numbers, it's about relative numbers.

So if you play a team with much better technique ratings you'll cough up a bucketload of pens on even normal discipline. Never mind aggressive.

But for the most part when you start you'll be playing similar human teams or bots. If you play BTB against similar teams you may lose a game you could have otherwise won, the changes to discpline make a big difference to your ruck rating. Try it and see. Against similar human and bot teams it won't cost you too badly in pens, and the far better ruck game is likely more than worth the difference.

quind
Admin

Location : escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 28, 2012 10:15 pm

Ok Quin, I'll give normal a whirl next game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:10 pm

I've been reading the Q&A 8 in BR. A lot of ideas are discussed that don't seem to have been implemented. Have the owners of BR found other games to spend more time on nowadays?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggs Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:17 am

They're doing a few things, they've made an Iphone app, in an attempt to generate more cash.

The planned improvements are:

BR site revamp (maybe a year away+)
Blackout Cricket
BR ME.2 (we'll see it by the time the sun explodes).
Raggs
Raggs
Admin

https://brengland.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:40 pm

Defences.

Which defences are good against which attacking setups. Here is what I think:

Pick and go and driving are countered well by rush.
Drift if the opposition has better backs than you.
Rush if he has good forwards but his backs aren't too good.
Rain will defeat expansive and creative.
Man on Man I see as a risk.

Can someone confirm this? Is rush the best general defence to use as I think it will be effective to counter creative play by forcing tackles before the ball can be played wide.

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:00 pm

Rush gets eaten alive by creative plays. But the other team will need decent handling to make creative plays work.

Rush works against driving plays.
Drfit counters expansive
MoM is best against creative plays, but you need a decent amount of agility to make the MoM defence work.

Nothing is best against PnG, but PnG doesn't really go anwhere. PnG is useful to preclude the time spent defending. I'm not sold with the ME as is it sucks in defenders to leave space elsewhere, but then I'm not sure how the ME determines which players will be involved.

quind
Admin

Location : escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground

Back to top Go down

Post by HowieLO6 Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:58 pm

Picking up on that latter point - that PnG doesn't really go anywhere, whats the current take on attacking tactics?

Currently, as my pack outclasses my backline by quite some margin, I tend to to with 40, 30, 20, 10, emphasising the driving game. Has served me well against marginally-tougher competition. When I'm away from home, I go the other way round, going for an expansive game.

Having not been in a situation where I have a big enough squad to really experiment in friendlies, and with other teams in my league either being light years ahead or bot teams, there's no real chance for any kind of consistency, nor opportunity to see what works.

HowieLO6

Back to top Go down

Post by Meeeeeeeat_ Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:43 pm

what defence would people recommend?
i can never decide
Meeeeeeeat_
Meeeeeeeat_

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:30 pm

Atm I'm using drift just to stop line breaks.

As most of my opponents also use drift should I weigh my attacks more to creative in order to force more linebreaks?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggs Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:55 am

If anything you should aim more for png and driving, since these gain more meters against drift than other defences. This means that you will keep possession, marching them up the field, to then flop across the line. You don't always need a linebreak to score, if the blue text contains only the name of the try-scorer, it means no linebreak was made, you just pushed your way over with time.
Raggs
Raggs
Admin

https://brengland.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:37 am

And I think drift if the default choice for defence types. So many teams likely never change that setting, nor the attacking sliders.

The best advice on what defence to use is to know what attack type your opponnt uses and set accordingly. Of course if they change attacking styles that ges harder, and even if not scouting their matches can take quite some time.

Best tip is find a team as close to your own as possible. Play some home and away Thursday games and vary tactics and share the info. See what works for you. I suspect most people play drift or rush, whether that's better I don't know.

quind
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:45 am

Thanks for all the help. Because of it I've just beaten the unbeaten guy in our league. He did go normal when I played LTNT but still 27-19 over a team 9 months older than me isn't bad.

Not sure if you can see this game report or not: http://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/tools.live.scoring.php#fixture=8301841

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingnut Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:26 am

very nice mate
Wingnut
Wingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:50 pm

Thanks Wing. Pretty pleased with it.

It leaves me with a dilemma although I'm fairly sure I know the best option. Do I push to win the play-offs to promote or deliberately lose the last game giving me another season of training, fund raising etc

I presume staying in Div V for another season and smashing everyone next season would leave me with a greater chance of remaining in Div IV.

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:56 pm

Promote, promote, promote, promote or promote if in any way possible

quind
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ultimatem Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:07 pm

Humps wrote:Thanks for all the help. Because of it I've just beaten the unbeaten guy in our league. He did go normal when I played LTNT but still 27-19 over a team 9 months older than me isn't bad.

Not sure if you can see this game report or not: http://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/tools.live.scoring.php#fixture=8301841

Your lineout is looking very good in particular, nice work

Ultimatem

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:07 pm

quindecagon wrote:Promote, promote, promote, promote or promote if in any way possible

Not the reply I was expecting but very much welcome. All hands to the pumps lads!!!

Ultimatem wrote:Your lineout is looking very good in particular, nice work

Thanks Ultimatem, I was very lucky being given 2 heavish 200cm plus guys with ok jumping and handling. Plus my props are fairly tall too. Although I am looking to replace them but locks are very expensive. I've set up a second row rule and I'm bidding 10k-15k on each player than comes up in the hope I get a lucky bargain.

Absolutely neck and neck in my friendly atm, 36-39. Come on, I want to keep my 'cheery' members

Back to top Go down

Post by Twinkletoes Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:00 pm

Just a quick side note, friendlies don't affect member's contentment, only your ranking points! People have been known (such as myself) to try to lose all monday friendlies in order to lose ranking points so they gain contentment when they win on a saturday. However, as you're looking to promote it's best to get all the ranking points you can with the aim of auto-promoting, it'll avoid you having a tricky play-off fixture!
Twinkletoes
Twinkletoes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next