Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A brand new EPS begins today

+2
Raggs
quind
6 posters

Go down

A brand new EPS begins today Empty A brand new EPS begins today

Post by quind Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:21 am

Though from the start we should probably acknowledge it won't be a brand new EPS, as you're only allowed 10-12 changes (I'm not sure which ) . In addition to which you get a free replacement for any players who retire I believe, though if that's the case I'd have hoped Easter, Cueto and Tinds would have fallen on their swords to free up more changes.

Being serious I can see why if it's your career you'd hope for every chance to play for England if you felt you had something to offer - so I don't really mind.

So to the squad. Currently it's broken down as:

5 props
3 hookers
4 locks
6 back row

3 scrum halves
2 fly halves

3 centres
2 wings
2 full backs
1 Matt Banahan

That's actually 31, which is what I just took off the RFU site. I'm going to assume the squad will retain 3 scrum halves, and either increase to 3 fly-halves or have Farrell as a centre who can cover 10. I'd love to be able to pick another back row player but I can't see who you can squeeze them all in at the expense of another role, though you could always go for 4 props.

So the new squad will look something like (and I'm going for what I think will be picked over what I'd pick here):

Cole
Corbiesiero
Stevens
Wilson
Marler

Possible PDJ will shift Wilson, but I think that would be a change to the squad that would count against allowed replacements and hence I don't see it happening.

Hartley
Mears
Gray

Mears to stay as again it'd be an actual replacement. I think Gray will get the nod over Webber but it'll be close. George may get a call up during the 6N as an injury swap, but can't see him in the EPS as yet.

Lawes
Palmer
Deacon
Attwood

Lock is one of the hardest positions to call. I'd love to see Garvey in there, and perhaps even Robson. Actually more likely Robson of those two as we've more cover in those 4 in the enforcer role rather than the middle jumper. But we do have the likes of Wood and especially Croft to jump along the lineout. I think they'll see Attwood as someone who's a bit of a 4 and a 5, had paid for his disgusting stamp and they'll want his physicality and athleticsim in the team now. Indeed with Lawes out I think we'll see Attwood and Palmer start against Scotland. Once the 6N call up comes we'll see who the injury replacement for Deacon will be then, and it might even be his club colleague Parling over both Garvey and Robson.

Croft (about as nailed on as you can get in world rugby)
Wood
Robshaw
Morgan
Gibson
Clark

Croft, Wood, Robshaw and Morgan will in some combination be our starting and replacement back row players. They don't seem to think any 'fetcher' style 7s are fit enough or good enough so that rules out Wallace, Saull, Fourie, Armitage, Kvesic and Seymour. There are big rumours the Clark will get the nod, and he knows Lancaster from Leeds days, but he's not played for several months now so I think that's pushing it, but it seems it might be the young Clark just tipping out the very unlucy (again) Phil Dowson.

So that's 18 forwards, leaving only 14 backs slots.

Youngs
Dickson
Simpson

Having to replace Care is a real blow, but he's been an indiot. Dickson isn't a player I rate as being top class, but he has to be an overwhelming favourite to come in.

Flood
Hodgson

Quite simple, Hodgson replaces the retired Wilkinson. Flood obviously stays in the squad and we'll get an injury repalcement at a later date.

And now we're down to 8 slots for the centres, wings and FB. It's at this point I start to rethink having 5 props as this is just being silly, but so's having just 4 props.

Tuilagi
Banahan
Farrell
Barritt

Sharples
Ashton
Strettle

Bit simpler with Wade out injured, he could have been a wildcard entrant.

Brown
Foden

Haskell and Cipriani would have both been included if available. They're not. We can also see from this for a man who didn't actually play that badly at the RWC just how far Delon Armitage has fallen, and if he's not named it seems he's off to Toulon (along with Nick Kennedy) so that could be it for him.

quind
Admin

Location : escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground

Back to top Go down

A brand new EPS begins today Empty Re: A brand new EPS begins today

Post by quind Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:58 am

Huggby Bear is reporting that Banahan is OUT.

Wonder if they'll be anyone in the squad who can play 13. I don't think Farrell is fast enough at test level, and I know Will Greenwood has played there.

quind
Admin

Location : escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggs Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:56 pm

Daily mail claim it's already out before the official announcement.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2084879/Six-Nations-2012-England-squad-revealed.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

A few there that don't match up with your list Quin Very Happy
Raggs
Raggs
Admin

https://brengland.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggs Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:06 pm

And this from the Telegraphs official announcements bit.

Forwards: M Botha (Saracens), C Clark (Northampton Saints), A Corbisiero (London Irish), D Cole (Leicester Tigers), T Croft (Leicester Tigers), L Deacon (Leicester Tigers), P Dowson (Northampton Saints), D Hartley (Northampton Saints), C Lawes (Northampton Saints), J Marler (Harlequins), L Mears (Bath Rugby), B Morgan (Scarlets), T Palmer (Stade Francais), C Robshaw (Harlequins), M Stevens (Saracens), R Webber (London Wasps), D Wilson (Bath Rugby), T Wood (Northampton Saints).

Backs: C Ashton (Northampton Saints), B Barritt (Saracens), M Brown (Harlequins), L Dickson (Northampton Saints), O Farrell (Saracens), T Flood (Leicester Tigers), B Foden (Northampton Saints), C Hodgson (Saracens), J Simpson (London Wasps), C Sharples (Gloucester Rugby), D Strettle (Saracens), M Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers), J Turner-Hall (Harlequins), B Youngs (Leicester Tigers).
Raggs
Raggs
Admin

https://brengland.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Courage1989 Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:36 am

Be careful though, theyve bent the EPS system so they could get more players in.. the injuries* are really more players into the squad, just because of the EPS Rules they can only put in So many at a time per 6 months. So Trinder, Attwood, Goode and Parling are all in as well Wink.

I'd expect following rumours for the squad to be something like this (not how I would have it but likely line up For Scotland):

1. Alex Corbisiero
2. Dylan Hartley
3. Dan Cole
4. Tom Croft (the Wildcard)
5. Tom Palmer
6. Callum Clark
7. Tom Wood
8. Ben Morgan
9. Ben Youngs
10. Charlie Hodgson
11. Charlie Sharples
12. Owen Farrell
13. Henry Trinder
14. Chris Ashton
15. Ben Foden (Sublime against the Scarlets yesterday)

Trouble is, there is a rumour that Callum Clark could even be the captain for England. Now, I picked last season he'd be in the EPS and he looks a player and a very very good 1 at that. But to become captain, in front of (out of that 15 presumably to be selected).. Hartley or Youngs would be a hell of a call.

Courage1989

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:49 am

That's a huge call Courage, neither of your 2nd rows really lock the scrum. It's possible one of them will play there, likely Palmer, but I can't see why they'd start them both.

It might be an option if England wanted to change the dynamic of their game about 60mins into a game.

And I think Stretts will start as he's far more experienced on the left wing then Sharples who I've never seen start there. And I know Stretts is playing 14 too this season.

Rumours are growing Robshaw could start at 8, though they're very keen to see Morgan play too. I think they'll have a look at Robshaw playing 8 at some point in the 6N, just not the opening game.

quind
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:40 pm

Taking players from outside the EPS Stephen Jones has given details of the 15 players he'd start against Scotland. You've little to no chance of even guessing some of the selections, but it's funny as hell:

Brown
Sharples
Armitage
Barkley
Monye
Cipriani
Youngs
Stankovich
Webber
Bell
Lawes
Palmer
Robshaw (c)
Saull
Morgan

quind
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilz Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:28 pm

Is he nuts?!
Wilz
Wilz

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingnut Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:00 pm

haha is he french?
Wingnut
Wingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonny Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:50 pm

wow

Jonny

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:02 pm

I want an ounze or two of what he's smoking I know that. I might even enjoy watching England play.

quind
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum