Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quite a pickle!

4 posters

Go down

Quite a pickle! Empty Quite a pickle!

Post by hikky999 Thu May 14, 2015 12:01 pm

Hi guys, came here for some good old fashioned advice!

I expect there is no right answer to this but I've a little bit of a problem.

I'm currently in div4 and by this season (or next) I hope to be promoted to Div3! YAY!

My problem comes in the shape of old people....

no.3 30
no.4 30
no.5 32
no.6 31
no.7 30

no.13 32

How do you cope with a massive restructure of the pack? How much does it cost? I'd need to buy an entire div3 standard pack as it's taken me too long to get promoted...

Bugger

hikky999

Back to top Go down

Quite a pickle! Empty Re: Quite a pickle!

Post by holy_monkey Thu May 14, 2015 1:47 pm

Only replace one side of the scrum at a time. So one young Lock, one old. Then you don't completely trash your lineout at the same time, the best guy will jump. Likewise with the backrow and rucking. The match engine doesn't seem to care about tight/loose head in the front row, so it makes it easier to rotate them round as they age.

Also you can extend the life of your front row by using them as an alternate no.8 and rotate to save stamina, then shift your 8 to 6 or 7. I sometimes get my 8 hooking too as he has good hands, it saves cash on subs (but that does depend on height/weight).

EDIT: And don't understimate the worth of experience. It's easily worth a few skill points diff to have a more experienced prop vs. a higher skilled prop with less xp. All depends on the stamina though.

holy_monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by hikky999 Thu May 14, 2015 2:26 pm

The stamina of my backrow and 2nd row is 17 across the board.

I was just worried about how much it'd cost to replace them all over 2 seasons

hikky999

Back to top Go down

Post by holy_monkey Thu May 14, 2015 5:15 pm

I'd be careful about splashing out too much too quickly in div 3. I went straight back down after my first promotion and ended up with a huge bill and poor attendance. Your team looks pretty good though, so you should be in with a better chance than I had!

holy_monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Thu May 14, 2015 5:58 pm

When I went up into Div 3 first time around I sold pretty much my entire squad, and used the funds to buy some core players to take my team forward once I'd relegated back. It was I think a sensible call, but (a) the squad I sold was quite young so I got some decent money in and (b) dear god that was a boring season

quind
Admin

Location : escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground

Back to top Go down

Post by hikky999 Thu May 14, 2015 10:12 pm

lol Quind Razz

I've just got two young players in who are 112kg and 123kg respectively and don't need too much work to turn them into players who could play 1st team.

I've also got Dave Dawes who I might try and exploit and change the way that my team plays, I'll work on some tactics to try and get a fast pack and high tempo ball whizzing about Razz

hikky999

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Fri May 15, 2015 10:01 am

Try not to laugh too much I'd doing something similar this season having ended up in Div 2 almost by accident. About the only point of interest for me is each time this has happened I've been in the same league as Levl91, and that's not enough to sustain one all those rounds once out of the cup until the new season is created.

quind
Admin

Location : escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazza79 Fri May 15, 2015 11:35 am

This an interesting topic to follow as I newly got promoted to Div3 this season and got told i would need to pretty much replace my backs to compete.

Dazza79

Back to top Go down

Post by hikky999 Fri May 15, 2015 12:49 pm

It's odd right? Theres such a big jump from 4 to 3 but by the time you promote from 4 you might need to completely rebuild a team.

I'm not laughing Quin, but I'm a littler nervous about having to sell off my best boys. I might try get promoted this year and sell in the off season

hikky999

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Fri May 15, 2015 4:23 pm

I think one could often assume good enough to win the league below will struggle for 5/6th in the new league, indeed for many they'd take 5th/6th and winning the quali to stay up as a good first season after promotion. One suspects Jolly Roger will not hang around hoping for 5th of course

quind
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum