Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trying to sort out a training strategy...

4 posters

Go down

Trying to sort out a training strategy... Empty Trying to sort out a training strategy...

Post by mattjair Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:57 am

Hola,

Not posted for a while but been trying to work out how to approach training in my squad.

Last season I fortunately got myself promoted into Div3.5 in England - I was far from the best team in my Div4 league, but lucked out a bit. Anyway - I'm looking very likely to head back down, and as a result, am trying to work out what my best bet is in terms of training.

I've been evaluating the other teams in my division:
https://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/club.league.php#page=standings&id=175705

The other 7 teams have an average CSR of somewhere between 156k and 177k. Mine is 122k so the odds are somewhat stacked against me.

I have been focusing training on a couple of second rowers. One - my best player - has just gone over 200k CSR, aged 23. The other is young - 19 - and is just under 70k CSR.

What seems clear is that I need to lift my average CSR significantly - not just to attempt to re-promote next season, but to ensure I'm good enough to stay up the season after that. I'm going to need to lift my team up to somewhere like 160k CSR on average to even be in the mixer and probably nearer 180K to look at another promotion.

Is my best strategy to keep focusing on my best player and lifting him to as high a CSR as poss? He's on 10 nets from level 5 trainers.

Or would it be better to say - he's good enough now - lets get another player up to that level as quickly as I can? And therefore take training away from my star?

Can't make my mind up - anyone got any thoughts on whether you're better off having a balanced team, or focusing on developing a star?

Any advice or even ramblings, very welcome!

Cheers

Matt

mattjair

Back to top Go down

Trying to sort out a training strategy... Empty Re: Trying to sort out a training strategy...

Post by eddbutt Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:53 pm

Balanced team v a few superstars. The ever revolving debate!

My personal preference is to have a balanced team with a few key superstars in the mix.

Do you have a Youth Academy, and if so, what level and what trainer do you have?

Do you have any money in the bank?

What level is your training facility and the staff within it?

eddbutt

Back to top Go down

Trying to sort out a training strategy... Empty Re: Trying to sort out a training strategy...

Post by mattjair Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:52 pm

Facilities and staff are all maxed - level 5's across the board. YA at level 3's. So setup isn't bad and I've basically built my entire team, bar one or two purchases, through the YA - with some good talent to add over the next season.

Cash - not much - I've poured it into stadium and facilities.

I guess a 200k player isn't technically a superstar, though - right? He's improving at over 2,800k CSR per week so I could continue to focus on him - the reality is though, a lot of his younger training was sub-optimal so he's probably never going to be an outright star, just a very good player for me for a few seasons.

How long can you effectively train players for - what age do they continue improving til - is this random?

My thinking had been more along the lines of - now I've hit level 5's try to find a player who can be an international and devote some training to him - the rest to my next two best players to try to get them up to that 200k mark - then the next two - until I have a decent backbone for the side. Just not sure if that's going to work out better than having one guy pushing up towards or beyond 300k.

mattjair

Back to top Go down

Post by jeolmaga Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:55 am

My thoughts is actually a hybrid idea, have a balanced team with at least one guy who is better than the average by about 50%. So then you have no "weaknesses" and someone to break through at a key time as they have much better skills.
jeolmaga
jeolmaga

Back to top Go down

Post by eddbutt Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:39 am

Maxed out facilities and YA is a great start!

I'd recommend putting about 30 stars on 15 guys and leaving them in the YA until they're 20, then you'll have a squad around 90 - 100k CSR in a few seasons. In the meantime, train three 17 year olds. One for kicking, one hooker and one lock.

I'd stop training your 200k CSR lock. He's good now and he'll be well over 300k CSR by the time he's 30. You'll train him at the expense of a better team otherwise. I think that training should stop at 150k CSR until your whole squad is strong, then train your best players when you have no weaknesses.

eddbutt

Back to top Go down

Post by mattjair Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:46 pm

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Edd - stage 1 is already done - the YA is churning decent players - so that's under way.

Stage 2 - regarding the lock - seems like a better way to get myself up to the required levels to compete so I think that's the plan.

Cheers!

Matt

mattjair

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:33 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about CSR, I'd basically though train three players until they're nailed on 1st XV players, at least in the main. That way you'll typically raise the standard of your 1st XV as you go and ensure you don't keep switching players and wasting time.

I'd also be inclined to train players aged 18-19 as a starting point, you've a YA so use it. And promote from those players who could be quality if trained at seniors and don't fit current of projected YA training, at least absent of star players (size or skills). Not such a long time to spend on training them as when starting from 17, so cheaper and quicker.

From the current squad I'd be training possibly the 19 year old at 205cm, and then two others not currently in the squad, either from your YA or off the TM

quind
Admin

Location : escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground

Back to top Go down

Post by mattjair Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:01 pm

Thanks Jading - the 19yo is on 10 nets. I have a back coming out of the YA shortly that has real potential and will likely get 10 too as most of my best players are forwards - trying to make a diff behind the scrum too.

mattjair

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum