Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England in NZ

+2
hikky999
jamesbass
6 posters

Go down

England in NZ Empty England in NZ

Post by jamesbass Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:35 am

For no other reason than to start a debate, I thought I'd give some of my views on the upcoming test series.

Is it just me or does anyone else think that England's wingers were massively over hyped during the 6N? Jonny May might be elusive, but being elusive running across the pitch away from your support is no good thing. Nowell does do some good things, but fundamentally he is a winger that doesn't score tries - awesome! I think wing is definitely our weakest position at the moment - it will be interesting to see how Yarde goes in the first test and if Ashton can get back in the side / produce his Sarries form?

I've just read Twelvetrees is out of the first test which is a shame, but Eastmond / Tuilagi could cause some damage in the centres. I'm a bit worried about Burns at 10; he has had a shocker of a season. I know he knows the set up better, but for me it has to be Cipriani at 10 for the first test?

It will be interesting to see how the Sarries / Northampton boys come in for the second / third test and how Burrell / Tuilagi are accommodated. I think they are too similar to play together in the centres so could Tuilagi play on the wing? In some ways it seems a bit of a waste to play him out wide but we are short of wing options and if you allow him a bit more of a free role he is certainly going to attract the attention of the defences.

Can't believe Armitage hasn't been picked. I know it sets a dangerous precedent but his performances have been 'exceptional' lately. Imagine England's world cup squad with these guys as the back rowers: Croft, Wood, Robshaw, Armitage, Morgan, Billy V!

Anyway, that's enough from me - anyone else got any thoughts?

jamesbass

Back to top Go down

England in NZ Empty Re: England in NZ

Post by Guest Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:41 am

I think the no players playing abroad schtick is ridiculous, given that England aren't averse to picking actual foreign born players. The consensus seems to be that foreign born = welcome; playing abroad = Not in my team. It's short sighted and quite stupid I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by hikky999 Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:56 am

I think Lancaster is right to not pick the players playing in France. Their contracts do not allow them to train with the England squad. How are they going to integrate? Also, they knew this when they left. They gave up their England career for more money. Is that really what you want for your team?

Also, saying about foreign born players has NOTHING to do with players playing abroad. We're well within our rights to pick anybody who is qualified to play. Just ask Wales, Scotland, New Zealand

hikky999

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:12 am

It will be interesting to see what happens if Parling has a good game this weekend

Haskell is playing brilliantly and should be playing this weekend in my view

Hope Cips gets the gig as well

Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by hikky999 Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:20 am

I LOVE James Haskell. He's such a great character. I always used to think if he went to 8, he'd be one of the worlds best 8's. He's big, strong, quick, a real machine.

hikky999

Back to top Go down

Post by jamesbass Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:26 am

I'd agree with you about Haskell....would pick him at 6 this weekend ahead of Johnson and keep Morgan at 8. Fantastic player at club level, but has never really had enough of a run in the national side to prove his worth, but it would be a hard call to pick him ahead of Wood, Robshaw or Vunipola a the moment.

jamesbass

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:58 pm

Haskell has had a run in the England team, at 7 where he plays for Wasps. Think back to the 6N winning 2011 team, Haskell was pretty much the England player of the tournament and certainly best forward, and for such performances he was dropped going into the WC for Moody, who had a shocker.

I like Haskell, but if I were to pick him it'd be where he's playing at 7 now, as he doesn't strike me as the most intelligent player, and I think getting him to do what he does is better than asking him to adapt.

quind
Admin

Location : escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground

Back to top Go down

Post by jeolmaga Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:45 pm

Steffon Armitage has been awesome in the games I've seen of him.
jeolmaga
jeolmaga

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:05 pm

Steff has been fantastic, he has been for years. He carried a bad Irish team, and he's now pretty much the best player in a quality Toulon side. I'd pick him in a heartbeat, but then I think England are stupid to ignore overseas players, I understand why they do it but I still think it cretinous. As is though he's not going to be considered unless we lose about 4-5 players through injury.

quind
Admin

Location : escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground

Back to top Go down

Post by Meeeeeeeat_ Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:19 pm

jamesbass wrote:I think wing is definitely our weakest position at the moment

Agreed. But bear in mind you talked about who we picked in the 6N, i'm convinced if available our first choice would have been wade and yarde, personally i think those two with foden on the bench covering wing and fullback will be better (i know we have to wait longer for wade). and in my opinion just rotate burrell and tuilagi, one replaces the other. i prefer burrell to start unless conditions or opposition better suit tuilagi (like facing boks or basteraud)
Meeeeeeeat_
Meeeeeeeat_

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum