Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AP Summer Transfers (confirmed)

+6
ostino
Basil
seanand
Raggs
Wilz
quind
10 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

AP Summer Transfers (confirmed) - Page 4 Empty Re: AP Summer Transfers (confirmed)

Post by Raggs Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:24 am

Just watching a match in which stabiano came on, he's given away a penalty for playing the ball whilst off his feet. Tried to tell Owens (the ref) he couldn't hear the warning, and Owens told him straight that "I shouldn't need to tell you that, you should know."
Raggs
Raggs
Admin

https://brengland.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

AP Summer Transfers (confirmed) - Page 4 Empty Re: AP Summer Transfers (confirmed)

Post by ostino Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:04 am

Raggs wrote:
ostino wrote:
Raggs wrote:Not confirmed by wasps, but all evidence (more than just rumour) points to wasps having signed Carlo Festuccia, italian international hooker, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlo_Festuccia

Wouldn't be surprised if he was starting over Lindsay who seems to be far more of an impact sub (and he does make some impact).
If you want a comment by an italian who see many times Festuccia's game....well, I never like him a lot.

Others italian, D'Apice leave gloucester  (where played a couple of game) coming back to zebre in pro12, and other two props: Romano (Saracens) and Staibano (london wasps) leave premiership (can't remeber if they plaied some games Wink ) to come back in our semi-pro national league.
Why didn't you like him?
Good in scrummaging, but not so solid in touche imho

ostino

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:17 am

I certainly find it interesting that following a huge change to the way a scrum will be reffed they've gone for a more experienced player, one that might be more set in now the wrong way of doing things.

quind
Admin

Location : escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:43 am

We needed another hooker and I doubt there are many hookers around, let alone with experience of hooking.

We have younger hookers who in time can learn the new way of doing things but they are too young to be playing week in week out

Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:06 am

There are lots of hookers around.

Though I confess like the Lozada signing I think this a little silly. It would have made more sense if there were no changes to the scrum, but that being the case I can't see how they think signing a more experienced pro that much better when they can't know if he can hook.

Wasps are hardly the only team not to think enough about playing their lads from the YA mind, or taking enough from the Championship. Leicester are god awful for such at times, and they're defending Champions. I can see why teams get driven down this path, but I'm not a fan of it.

quind
Admin

Location : escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggs Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:28 am

Tangy wrote:There are lots of hookers around.

Though I confess like the Lozada signing I think this a little silly. It would have made more sense if there were no changes to the scrum, but that being the case I can't see how they think signing a more experienced pro that much better when they can't know if he can hook.

Wasps are hardly the only team not to think enough about playing their lads from the YA mind, or taking enough from the Championship. Leicester are god awful for such at times, and they're defending Champions.  I can see why teams get driven down this path, but I'm not a fan of it.
We've sent our youngster to London Welsh so he gets lots of game time. This isn't a 3rd choice hooker, it's a 1st or 2nd.

Also, I'd trust the he's capable in the new scrum laws, since the signing almost certainly came about during the preseason when Wasps and Zebre were training together, Youngs could have seen first hand how he was doing under the new scrum laws.
Raggs
Raggs
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:49 am

Well, Youngs could have had a better informed guess. Which is sort of okay.

If he's very cheap it's not too bad a signing. But this grab a foreign player with exp over young England players as a near default across the league I find frustrating, it's a waste of money, and in the main a waste of talent. Where teams do back young players they tend to do much better over time.

quind
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:37 pm

I have no doubt that had a young English player been available who was good enough to be 1st or 2nd choice then we would have snapped him up

Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:44 pm

I doubt that very much. Going with what's perceived as the safe option in a foreign player with some exp happens again and again.

'tis possible both Festuccia and Lozada will have excellent seasons and prove me wrong. But I expect to see nothing they couldn't have got from options like Morris

quind
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggs Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:31 pm

Tangy wrote:I doubt that very much. Going with what's perceived as the safe option in a foreign player with some exp happens again and again.

'tis possible both Festuccia and Lozada will have excellent seasons and prove me wrong.  But I expect to see nothing they couldn't have got from options like Morris
Lozada perhaps you're right. But what's wrong with sending Morris to London Welsh for a season? He'd have been unlikely to get much time for wasps, and certainly wouldn't have brought the quality that Festuccia does, and old heads aren't necessarily a bad idea for wasps atm.
Raggs
Raggs
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:48 pm

I'd rather have Morris than an old player who may not be able to hook. If Morris wouldn't have gotten much time then Festuccia shouldn't get much time, if they don't play Lindsay he may as well leave. If there is time when they can't play Lindsay, as one would expect, then there was enough time to Morris to play

I shall not be saddened if I'm wrong, (a) I'm used to it, I'd have to be by now, and (b) it'll mean a player will have done well and that's always a good thing.

Old heads aren't a bad idea, but Wasps already have some of those. And the momentum at Wasps hasn't come from backing old players.

quind
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:14 pm

Give Morris a season to learn without all the pressure

Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:36 pm

If you can accommodate such fine, if it means bringing in an aged journeyman, especially a foreign one, back the kids.

quind
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:21 am

I would actually prefer they brought in an aged foreign journeyman than a young foreign journeyman - that would stifle development

Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:34 am

About the only decent thing you can say for Sale last season, other than Braid, is they backed youth in the front row. One either backs and then delivers on potential, or backs into the corner and looks for experience to protect. I'd rather have a coaching team not base their decisions on fear, but I realise not everyone shares my outlook.

quind
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:50 am

I know what you are saying but have no problem him getting experience elsewhere short-term

Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:42 am

I don't mind Wasps getting experience short term if the player is good enough, and sending the kid out on loan for a period, Sarries as a for instance could have done more to see Jamie George had played more (for whichever club) in recent times.

I don't think there's any point in bringing in such average players when you could simply play your kids. So if as a for instance they'd signed Keven Mealamu on a one year deal i'd think it a fantastic thing, but this feels like Botha being selected for England - just a waste of time

quind
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggs Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:38 pm

Guess we'll just have to wait and see how the guy does.
Raggs
Raggs
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:43 pm

Wasps signed a US centre - not familiar with him though

Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:47 am

It's out and about on t'internet, that famed source of truth, that Leicester Tigers have signed Pablo Matera

quind
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:35 am

Not confirmed - Neemia Tialata to Gloucester, and boy could they use it.

quind
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:13 pm

Not sure if this is freeing up wages, or can't afford his demands. But Vereniki Goneva rumoured to have signed with Castres for next season, a big loss if true, even if players like Tait and Benjamin get fit.

quind
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:13 pm

Tom Court to London Irish. Worcester's job to stay up getting bigger and bigger.

quind
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:21 pm

Wade signs a contract extension  Very Happy 

Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by quind Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:56 am

Barcella possibly moving to Leicester with Stanko heading to NGD.

quind
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next